Monday, February 7, 2011

HSTARC2: Reaction Blog (Gothic Architecture)

I'm really fascinated on how change has transpired through the Greek Era until the Gothic Era. Every next era just add a little detail just to modify another new era.

In my reaction blog last week about Romanesque Architecture, I thought that was the scariest one of all Architecture Eras, but then I saw this Gothic Era, which I found very demonic because it has a lot of pointed and sharp edges. I was also confused on why did they used gargoyles to scare away bad spirits. I mean, I just can't imagine the church or cathedrals using gargoyles as their details to their structures. They could've used angels or saints instead, but gargoyles? Nay.

I was also happy on the way they add the flying buttresses which allowed them to put larger windows compared to Romanesque Architecture. This now, gives more light inside the structure.

Also, I find this era very creative because they were able to make different kinds of pointed arches. They were able to add details such as fire or rose as detail in their pointed arches. I also noticed that they were very high on tall structures (which gives me another scare, pointed edges + tall structures)

I'm really not fascinated with the high ceilings but maybe for them, it's beautiful. A thing that I noticed about high ceilings is that, since most the Gothic structures are cathedrals and churches, and when we say cathedrals and churches, it has choirs and all the musical instruments, which gives an echo-ing sound. (Just a guess!) (Together with the creepy organs, are hails of the choir which is very scary.)

People in this era was very high on religion. They symbolizes religion as power. They thought that, when you have cathedrals in your country, then you have a rich and wealthy country. That's what it is for them. They're just like the modern Greeks: They were high on housing their gods and goddesses with massive structures. In Gothic Era, they were high on building cathedrals for their God. Religion was really something to their concept and philosophy.



____________________________________________________________________________
HSTARC2 Blog update:

Romanesque
Gothic
Renaissance
Baroque/Rococco
American Architecture
Growth of European States
Industrial Revolution
Arts & Crafts
Art Nouveau
Beaux Arts + Neo Gothic
Art Deco
Bauhaus
International Architecture
Louis Sullivan
Frank Lloyd Wright
Le Corbusier
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

No comments:

Post a Comment