Monday, April 18, 2011

AESTETA: Seatwork #1

CORONADO, Philippe Jiro L.                         AESTETA                                 January 18, 2011                   

Is our perception of beauty socially/culturally dictated or something innate/inborn/inherent?


A persons perception of beauty is based through a persons way of living. Some people live within themselves the beauty that their culture holds. Some people feel that self-expression is beauty, wherein they do not look at a certain object the way people normally look at it. They have their own standards for a thing to be beautiful. Everyone has their own definition of beautiful. For some, the more ugly a thing is, the more it is beautiful.

            Personally, I am a more self-expressive person. When I see a beautiful thing, I stand by it because I believe that judging an objects beauty is against a person’s free will. No one should tell others what is beautiful because it denies their self-expression on what is beauty. I also think that our perception must be inborn/innate/inherent because I saw a phrase at one slide at the presentation that says “Forced to be fat.” I just thought a while ago that, what if that person has her own standards to be beautiful? What if she finds being a fat girl ugly? Another though that I had was what if the Chinese women didn’t want to have a tiny feet? They are forced to have those because others told them that is beautiful.

            Everyone should be treated equally. Everyone has to be beautiful in their own expressive way. Everyone was born with self thinking; we should let themselves use it.

            I’m usually not fascinated by barong tagalongs and Filipinianas though it’s part of my culture as a Filipino. I’m usually not a fan of Piko, Tumbang Preso and other Filipino games though I played a lot of it during my childhood. I am more fascinated by coats and ties because I find it very universal, neat and can make you very good-looking. Culture will always be there but at the end of the day, you, yourself should know what is beautiful for you.

                To conclude; For me, as long as a person expresses him/herself freely, that is beautiful. As long as you have a certain passion on that certain beauty regardless if it is beautiful or not, then heck that is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment